New Regent Street

Completed

2013

Location

Christchurch

Studio

Christchurch

New Regent Street is a precinct of 40 individual shops built in the Spanish Mission Revival Style. It was originally opened in April 1932, one of the few developments to occur in Post-Depression Christchurch.

Much of the Ground Floor structure and finishes had been compromised, so the project became a balance of protecting and retaining the surviving original fabric, while introducing new structure and finishes in a sympathetic manner.The original patterned tiles were sourced on a close-as-possible matching basis. New shop fronts and stairs were constructed based on the pattern of the original fabric. A new continuous concrete floor slab was laid to strengthen the structure, and recycled t&g flooring overlaid.

New Regent Street was re-opened in April 2013, exactly 81 years after the original, at a time when Christchurch again needed a boost of optimism. This project provides an important message that the devastating earthquakes have not destroyed all of the city’s valuable Architectural Heritage.

Icons made by Freepik, Balraj Chana, Google from www.flaticon.com is licensed by CC BY 3.0